Thursday, November 8, 2012

Too Fast, Too Young?


Thankful
Today I am thankful that we have a roof over our heads. There are so many people out there that don’t have a place to come home to and sometimes I get on my high horse about things that are not important but in all actually I am very lucky. Not only do we have a very nice house, we also own our house and in this economy many people will never get to experience what that is like. In hand with being thankful for my house, I am thankful for the hardworking man that helps makes that possible. R continuously works hard at his job and is the type of man that constantly makes you proud to be his other half. I’m thankful for this life we have made together.

Completely unrelated… I wanted to take a moment to get some thoughts and opinions on something we were discussing this morning at work. Recently I came across an article about two very young girls that compete in endurance runs. The girls are 10 and 12 years old which brings up some concerns about running such long distances when your body is not fully grown and/or developed. Some people at work argued that you should let your kids do what they want to do and it helps them stay in shape. Others think it’s wrong because they believe it could affect the growth of the child. I’m not a parent nor am I a child developemental expert, but I think that those runs may be a bit too much for the small girls. I believe running is very hard on your body and I believe as an adult you typically know when to listen to your body and what it needs. So if you are sore or something is wrong we typically know and slow ourselves down. I would fear that children may not know their bodies as well and something serious could affect them for the rest of their lives if not handled correctly. Please note I’m not talking about just a 5K or fun run. I believe children should be included in those and taught to take care of themselves but I’m not sure I agree with the much longer runs. What do you parents think? I’m very open minded and like to know what you would do if your child wanted to run?
Happy Thursday!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think but remember play nice ya'll